Monday, January 02, 2006

Oklahoma Burning

Well, I completed the 8K run yesterday. And yes, I made it the whole way only stopping momentarily to knock down some H20 at the half-way Turn-Around-Point, but no, I didn't have much fun. The first half of the race took us along the northern edge of the Oklahoma River and straight into a gale that nearly reached 60 frickin' mile-per-hour gusts at times. I spent the entire first half of the race leaning into it and holding onto my cap while I clenched my teeth in an effort to keep the grit out which proved useless as I had dirt in my mouth and, despite the sunglasses, stinging my eyes and I can only speculate what other unknown crevices.

My time was abysmal. But I wasn't last. And I did finish. And boy do my legs ever ache.

The real story of New Years Day 2006 was the wildfires buring throughout Oklahoma. When my run had started at 2:30 pm the skies were still blue. By the end of the race they had turned brown with dust and smoke and visibility was nil. In fact, we were not allowed to enter the tent for post-race black-eyed peas and cornbread and I assume this had something to do with the potential of a tent blow-over.

Driving home along the Broadway Extension there is a point where one ascends and usually has a great view of the northwest OKC skyline. But not today. I call Lou Ann to inform her of my finish and yep, I'm still alive, and she tells me of the fire burning along Memorial & Penn. By the time I reach Edmond I can see the black smoke pouring from a place only a mile to the west of me and the smell of smoke easily permeates my car. I'm thinking that we're all caught up in a modern-day lesson, a regrettable opportunity to understand what it feels like to be stuck in some raging Dust Bowl, and the winds blow while Oklahoma burns.

No comments: