Sunday, January 01, 2006

Just Another Day or A New Beginning?

Time keeps marching on, which is fine, as long as I keep marching along with it.

Speaking of marching, I'm heading down to Bricktown this afternoon for the annual New Year's Day "Run For Your Life" 8K. I ran the 8K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and surprisingly made it the whole way without stopping. It was a cold morning as a brisk wind whipped across Lake Hefner but half way through the trot it felt perfect. No, my time wasn't great, but that wasn't the goal. For that first race the goal was simply to finish and have fun and it felt grreat to accomplish both. Then on the 3rd of December I did the 5K Downtown In December run which actually seemed harder on me, probably due to the more pervasive chill and the uphill finish. Today's course begins at the Sonic headquarters in Bricktown and from all indications then moves to the Oklahoma River trails. Here is the catch - yes, it continues to be unseasonably warm, we're talking mid 70s, yet wind gusts expect to reach up to 50 mph! I can only hope for some wind breaks out there but in all honesty I don't expect much if the course runs along the river. Could get interesting out there. Again, the goal, to finish and... have fun?

This past week I received five copies of Baked Plain, the book of short stories I tentatively completed a ways back. It's actually just a test run as I wanted to see if I could get a book properly self-published through the Lulu web site and also was curious to see how my words looked in a formally published format. Well, not so bad, its kinda fun to have your very own literary creation in hand, but I've already found a few things that I'd change with the next run. And I would also like to add two more stories to the collection (Your Windows To My Soul & This Moth, That Flame). So later this year I will attempt to complete those two stories, edit the initial stories, and then add a more relevant cover (included is a photo of the test run edition).

No comments: