Tuesday, April 18, 2006

All The Children Sing


April 18th... yet another birthday.

Been sick for a week but just started the anitbiotics yesterday. Feel better already.

So I don my daquiri ice button-down shirt for the occasion once more. I wear it every April 18th. Very cheery, very spring-ish, and is a reference to days of yore when I always wanted the sweet sorbet for my birthday. Somewhere Mama Jane should be smiling.

And April is also Hermit Of Mink Hollow month. This Todd R album came out in April of 1978 just as I was preparing to graduate from high school. Listening to it often brings me back to the feeling in my heart of so long ago, especially this time of year. It's a coming-of-age opus book-ended with two incredible existentialist musical delights. First - All The Children Sing - a three minute whirlwind of an album opener and the closer - Fade Away - a beautiful spiritual ending.

I just listened to All The Children Sing three times in a row. If a man had only written that one song then that would be enough. It says it all and does so in a magnificent holy manner.

With the completion of This Moth, That Flame I had intended on resuming work on The Lost Child... but now I have a new bee in my bonnet.

I have this idea for a new story, a story that borrows a title from a song by Todd R. And it incorporates an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for a few months now. And it's dark and scary and most people wouldn't want to read it. And yet it must be addressed. But no matter what it's springtime, a time for rebirth and promise, and the sun shines for all.

You and I will stay
and watch it all ---- fade away.

No comments: