Friday, October 21, 2005

Real Monsters

2005 has been the Year Of The Hurricane. Unprecedented quantity, unprecedented quality. Life changing (and ending) events for so many. Tragedies that will resonate for years.

And please consider the stigma forever attached to the names:

Katrina
Rita
Ophelia

My poor brother Andrew... can a south Floridian ever meet him without some preconceived association? They want nothing to do with the poor chap.

So maybe the time has come to lift this unnessecary burden off the unlucky few and name these natural storms after the monsters that they truly are. Like Frankenstein 2005 or maybe The Eternal Swirling Fog. Or the Cycloptic Piledriver. It Came From Barbados. The Were - is my - wolf, my car, my house? Or my personal favorite, That Great Big Asshole In The Sky.

No comments: