Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Bukowski, the EELS and Light

While working out at the YMCA this morning I was listening to the new EELS "Blinking Lights" CD and reading "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski. As I lunged up and down on the elliptical contraption it dawned on me that most of my sweaty brothers and sisters might think of me as one depraved son-of-a-bitch if they knew what I was listening to and reading. I don't believe these two works of art constitute standard fare among the soccer moms and cpa dads with all their suv's stamped "W" out in the parking lot.

And what might they do in retaliation if they were to find out? Stick me on a treadmill and turn it up to, say, 8.5 mph and as one wild mob surround me and never let me off until I either become flattened like George Jetson or repent?

No need. I repent here and now on my own free will. I'm not really depraved at all. Just a seeker of the Light, which may be easier to find once you've ventured through all that dark.

No comments: