Wednesday, April 06, 2005

July July & A New Admitted Guilty Pleasure

I just finished reading Tim O'Brien's July July, a short novel revolving around the 30 year reunion of old friends at a small Minnesota college. As usual the story includes strong references to Vietnam as one young man went off to war, the other to Winnipeg, but that's just a small part of it. I enjoyed it as I suspect I will enjoy anything O'Brien writes... just something about his Minnesota roots and his affinity for baseball caps I guess. And it blows me away to think that as I played with my plastic army men on the sandy beach of Lake le Homme Dieu in the late 60s that not that far away a young Tim O'Brien was struggling with his very own decision. He decided to go to war, not out of courage but out of fear of not going, survived, and we're all fortunate that he did. Quite frankly high schools ought to make room for his The Things They Carried as required reading but I'm sure that would meet with some kind of kooky right-wing objection.

And I have to admit something right here and now... I'm in love with Karen Carpenter's voice. Funny, she considered herself a drummer but I'm thinking she had the most distinctive female vocal chords of the last 25 years or so. It can melt cold butter and maybe even the cholesterol in my veins. Of course I was far too cool to dig the Carpenters back in the 70s but if you live long enough you have the opportunity to reconsider a few things. Listening now with old tinnitus-y ears and a new perspective the sad tragedy of her death hits home and kindles a fresh appreciation.

No comments: