Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day


Another 4th of July and it's hard to be happy. I feel weighted down with worry. Like I told Lou Ann, it's okay to feel it, but you must let it flow through you. You cannot allow it to stay inside of you, accumulate, fester. Easier said than done. In an effort to make this happen I try to stick to routine, excercise, redirect at least some of my attention to other interests.

This morning I plan on running the 8K Frigid Five Miler course over at Mitch Park. The same one I ran back on that cold February morning when all appeared well in my world. There was actually a race this morning but I just couldn't get myself ready for it. The start time was 7:30 am and quite frankly I might have embarrassed myself with my lack of energy. I need to start training a little more if I want to participate.

I finished Ron McLarty's "Memory Of Running" back in April. This wasn't some great literary achievement but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It had the most important of literary traits: heart! Another cross-country bike story and I totally dug that.

Just finished Philip Roth's "EveryMan". Now this gentleman can write and I got through it despite the fact that it was without question the most depressing novel I have ever read. In fact, given this dark June it was maybe a miracle I even stuck with it. I had the notion to toss it. But last weekend I just got in the right mood and finished it off. Felt like I needed to read it. And be done with it.

TC Boyle's new book "Talk Talk" will be released this week. Now that's something I plan on sinking my teeth into.

Well... I guess "Baked Plain" is finally finished. I took some photos for the cover the other day, none of which I will use so I need to get out there and find a more suitable locale (one with caked red dirt brimming up to the horizon). The above picture is one of the rejects. So - is the sun rising or is it setting?

Thank God the June of 2006 is over (and yes, the above sun is setting, but the one shining over Nick is rising and smiling). Feel it... but let it pass through.

No comments: